Futurist49

Futurist49

Hi! My name is Mike, I am 72 years old, retired from a scientific profession. Always felt drawn to create but hampered by laziness and lack of talent. I am now experimenting in an unfocused way with cutouts, photography of found objects (such as driftwood), melted crayons, and ceramics (see attached). I am motivated by color, line, shapes, and the fingertip contact with the media.
Gnu Bleu.jpg
Little Talbot Island.jpg
Genesis.jpg
IMG_5199.JPG

Welcome Mike and thanks for sharing images of your work; it's beautiful! I am intrigued by the work made of melted crayons. It must be kind of fun working with all of those waxy colors!

Thanks Donna! I enjoy the "pop" that wax gives to watercolor washes - every kindergartner has seen this, I'm sure. More to come.

Welcome, Mike. I am happy that you made it to our community of creative and good people. Please share more of your work.

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Your works are varied and quite lovely. ❤️

Welcome Mike. I quite like your cut-out bull. It makes me think of a cross between Matisse and Picasso.

Welcome! Glad you have joined us. I like the works you have shown us. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Hello Mike and welcome! Love your bull image and all the rest. Looks as if you are enjoying art and the process of creating.

Welcome to Creative Spark, Mike! Your cutout bull made me think of Matisse - so well done. Keep experimenting, you're getting fine results and I look forward to seeing more! 😀

Hi Mike. I'm in love with the mediums you choose to work in and your work is so cool! Welcome to the forums. I really look forward to seeing more from you. I hope you many friends here. I think you will. ;)

Hello and welcome, Mike! What a variety of mediums, and all of them very nice. :) I love the colors (and shape) of the ceramic cup. That pic of the driftwood is so stark and surreal. And who knew that melted crayons would be beautiful?

Welcome Mike. I quite like your cut-out bull. It makes me think of a cross between Matisse and Picasso.
Thank you! Yes, Matisse has been a strong influence. I facetiously titled this cut-out "Gnu Bleue", a reference to Matisse's Nue Blue. It is, however, quite different in many ways: static instead of fluid, passive instead of active, representational instead of abstract, and with the subject engaged instead of looking to the side. I had fun with this.

Hi Mike - I am also new here and this is my first Creative Spark post. I like your work. Hope to see more.

Hi Mike - I am also new here and this is my first Creative Spark post. I like your work. Hope to see more.
Thanks! I appreciate the comments. I checked out your website and liked very much your work. I would like to develop my photography in the way you have done - I tend to line things up as if they were being photgraphed for a sales catalogue. I hope to develop a better eye (comes with practice!) and more spontaneity. Your abstracts are intriguing; I think "River Reach" is the one I found most compelling. I would like to go in that direction, but don't want to let go of representation entirely.

Hi Mike - that the fun of being an artist, you can go in any direction you want and in multiple directions because you can. Thanks for checking out my website. Do you have a website? I would be interested to check it out.

Hi Mike and welcome to the forums. You'll find it a friendly place to visit and make yourself at home.

Back