Franz Marc

john

Another artist that I didn't know, or did and forgot. The kind of abstraction I really like. I've been trying to figure out what I like in art, as we all do. Still. Decades later. Zeroing in on post impressionism through expressionism/abstract, and realist landscape. I keep thinking there is maybe something more and better, newer, more aesthetically pleasing and intellectually stimulating, which defines great art for me. It's possible that there isn't. The century old art movements are still the ones I like best.

Are you still looking for something in art, or have you found it.

Franz Marc​

Stables (Stallungen)

Like Vasily Kandinsky and other artists associated with Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider), Franz Marc searched for ways to reflect inner spiritual and emotional states through art. Marc’s approach was oriented toward nature, founded on the pantheistic belief that animals possessed a certain godliness that men had long since lost. He completed Stables, the last major work based on his favorite subject, the horse, by the end of 1913. During the course of the year, Marc had become increasingly interested in abstract pictorial modes to express universal aspects of existence. Rather than portraying the natural world from the point of view of the individual animal, Marc now saw his subjects as part of a larger unified field and treated them in terms of the overall structure of the composition. In Stables, the images of horse and stables are almost indistinguishable. The artist arranged a group of five red, blue, and white horses within a framework of parallel and crossing diagonals. Massed on the picture plane, the horses are transformed into flat colored shapes. The curvilinear patterns of the animals’ tails and the shifting planes of vivid, light-filled colors suggest the influence of the Futurists and Robert Delaunay, whom Marc had met during a trip to Paris in 1912.

1639851650651.png

Deer in Forest

1639851880092.png

Stables 1913

These are incredible! Thanks so much for posting these. I don't know how one even conceives of compositions like this, let alone executes the vision so beautifully.

Are you still looking for something in art, or have you found it.
I've found it. I look for the connection with the art, plain and simple. I connect with certain styles and artists more than others, but love to see surprises like this. I've discovered that staying open to all kinds of art brings me much enjoyment. :)

Marc is an artist I admire a lot. As I live in Munich, I have seen a lot of his paintings.
What a pity that he died so young, he was on a great journey into abstraction.

I like Marc in the way I like Chagall, interestingly enough. Great post! Thank you John. :)

His work is stunning! I wonder, did he draw first and then fragment the image before painting it? His work is really beautiful.

Back