Fig tree

Shane

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I did a sketch of a fig tree in the rainforest during the christmas holidays. The tree was beside a running stream with an abundance of whip birds nearby (you could hear their calls). A preliminary locational sketch for a detailed piece.

Perhaps some perspective would be helpful, the location is the Gold Coast hinterland in SE Queensland, Australia, a sub-tropical climate.

20211230_165915.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting here, I might not have seen it otherwise. I love your descriptive lines and technique. Love it!

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I did a sketch of a fig tree in the rainforest during the christmas holidays. The tree was beside a running stream with an abundance of whip birds nearby (you could hear their calls). A preliminary locational sketch for a detailed piece.

Perhaps some perspective would be helpful, the location is the Gold Coast hinterland in SE Queensland, Australia, a sub-tropical climate.

View attachment 17634
Hi Shane. Another Aussie?! Been a while since I was back :)
To the drawing, I think it has potential. You have nailed the "thirds" and have some nice potential focal areas. I like the left palms, the big root mass and the deliniating right hand trunk. The detaile work will be interesting, what media will it be? Another drawing or painting?

Thanks Jo and Murray.

Well both a drawing and a painting. My signature rainforest pieces are drawn with pen first and then painted with acrylic ink and watercolour so the ink lines are still visible. My avatar is a snip from a larger similar piece.

What an exotic looking tree! I’ve never seen a rainforest but imagine it must be nice to sketch there. Beautiful work!

Beautiful work Shane... I have nothing to add but looking forward to seeing the final painting.

Love the variety of all the marks in your sketch, and the tangle of tree roots looks fascinating. Really interested in seeing how this works out as a final painting.

Back