Exploring colored pencils

Scamall

Supporting Member
I haven’t done very much colored pencil work but just bought some polychromos which I think I like better than the prismacolor. This little study is polychromo on pastel paper 9 x 12 with a little bit of detail from micron. I think the white is too bright. I would appreciate any help!
D8DCB384-AF7B-4A28-870F-F7182730DF6D.jpeg

This is your usual beautiful work, Scamall, so I have very little to add. Your bits of bright white are perfect as far as I'm concerned: it's a needed element. If it's bothering you, maybe shorten the length of your white lines on the lower petals in a few areas? That might lessen the brightness you're not liking.

It's gorgeous just as it is, to me. ❤️

Did you find these pencils easier to move and blend than the Prismacolor? That's the only large set I have, aside from really cheap ones, and sometimes they don't seem to spread easily.

This is your usual beautiful work, Scamall, so I have very little to add. Your bits of bright white are perfect as far as I'm concerned: it's a needed element. If it's bothering you, maybe shorten the length of your white lines on the lower petals in a few areas? That might lessen the brightness you're not liking.

It's gorgeous just as it is, to me. ❤️

Did you find these pencils easier to move and blend than the Prismacolor? That's the only large set I have, aside from really cheap ones, and sometimes they don't seem to spread easily.
Thank you, I really enjoyed the difference from the Prismacolor. The Polychromos seemed much more buttery and blendable – – but then I don’t have that much experience with colored pencils. Any tips about using solutions?

Last edited:
I think this is gorgeous. I use colored pencils but not in this way. I am not skilled enough. You're so good. :)

Solutions with colored pencils? No tips, since I would be uncertain what to try. I have used tiny amounts of solution with my photo oil pencils, but only the prepared solutions made to go with photo oils exclusively. That would likely work with any colored pencils that had a bit of oil, I suppose.

Wax pencils like Prismacolor, or regular colored pencils, I've not used anything, either. I like your description of your Polychromos, though, and am interested in picking some up.

More exploring—a bit of micron with polys.View attachment 19502
I very much like this one! But go figure. LOL

Solutions with colored pencils? No tips, since I would be uncertain what to try. I have used tiny amounts of solution with my photo oil pencils, but only the prepared solutions made to go with photo oils exclusively. That would likely work with any colored pencils that had a bit of oil, I suppose.

Wax pencils like Prismacolor, or regular colored pencils, I've not used anything, either. I like your description of your Polychromos, though, and am interested in picking some up.
Most pencil artists just use Gamsol or some other thinner. I believe I have also heard it mentioned that acetone (nail polish remover) or rubbing alcohol might also work. But my memory is sketchy on that so maybe look it up? At any rate no matter which solvent you might choose I would test it on swatches or something you don't care to lose first. Also solvents work best if you have first laid down enough pigment for them to dissolve. Just a light coloring in won't render good results with that.

(I use the Gamsol or Daler Rowney Low Odor Thinner btw. They do what I want so no need for me to look further.)

image.jpg
Thanks, I had some Gamsol delivered today. I tried it on a quick sketch with Prismacolors, fun! I had a stencil with watercolor background for something else. I just had some heavy color down quickly and it nearly melted.

Last edited:
Your parakeet turned out great! Love it!

Wow, it does look like something melted on the last painting there. The Gamsol did this on the Prismacolor?

Your parakeet turned out great! Love it!

Wow, it does look like something melted on the last painting there. The Gamsol did this on the Prismacolor?
Yup!
~~~

So sorry I missed what you were saying about this. I thought the background was intended.

So yeah, you want to go in with a light touch. Small brush or Qtip, scrape the brush over the lip of the jar and then perhaps also blot it on a piece of scrap paper before applying it. Then stay in the area where you want to blend your strokes. It's also good for blending colors. There are some good videos on YouTube that talk about using solvent with colored pencil.

Here is just one of them. (tip: I often watch these on higher playback speeds to get to the point quicker. You can always back it up and slow it down for the parts you want to pay closer attention to.)

Here's one of them:

He's a bright little guy. :) I'll be interested in seeing how you progress with the blending!

Polychromos on Bristol 9 x 12View attachment 19618
My error! The greenish is
23ACD4EB-8ABE-4CCF-8A25-DD885937540E.jpeg
Prismacolor and the warm toned one is Polychromos! Both with a touch of pen. I noticed the polys stayed sharp longer and I could get a finer tip. The prismas were softer and blended more easily and I found they needed a different touch. My prismas have 72 colors and the polys have 60. Cost was a factor in not getting 120 and I feel pretty confident I can obtain a wide range of colors with what I have.

Last edited:
My error! The greenish is View attachment 19643Prismacolor and the warm toned one is Polychromos! Both with a touch of pen. I noticed the polys stayed sharp longer and I could get a finer tip. The prismas were softer and blended more easily and I found they needed a different touch. My prismas have 72 colors and the polys have 60. Cost was a factor in not getting 120 and I feel pretty confident I can obtain a wide range of colors with what I have.
Nice layering. Great detailing! (y) Well done.

Back