China Camp Beach

Bartc

Out with the Burlingame Plein Air Painters group today up in Marin at China Camp Beach Park. Historic and scenic spot that I'd never visited before.

I snared two paintings. First is 12x9" pastel on dark blue PastelMat of one of the headlands surrounding the village beach. Second is a quick ink & watercolor 6.7x9.4" on paper of the beached boat near the pier.
China Camp Beach Headland.jpg

Attachments

• China Camp Beach Boat.jpg
    China Camp Beach Boat.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 33
The first painting is wodnerful. I just love those colours and energy and the dark blue paper choice was perfect. The boat is great, I really like the angle of it. :)

Great work on both of these, Bart! You seem to like PastelMat and can even use the colors to your advantage. It's so nice that you can use both pastel and watercolor while you're out.

Great work on both of these, Bart! You seem to like PastelMat and can even use the colors to your advantage. It's so nice that you can use both pastel and watercolor while you're out.
Donna, my car is my studio and it is equipped for anything except the oils I don't work with. So I can do acrylic, any water media, pastel, etc. I think I told you that I work very fast. A 3 hour window to paint allows me at least 2 paintings if I bother; with watercolor up to about 4 before I get bored and lazy. And I always pick locations that have multiple subjects for my painting group.

I do like PastelMat as my favorite go-to pastel surface. Only regret is that they have more limited color choices compared to some of the other brands, but their stuff is all high quality. Using colored ground both helps inspire me AND gives me one more potential layer of the pastel, since it's not truly a sanded paper.

I love the pastel on the blue paper. So striking. The boat has a great angle on it and you did a super watercolor. Applause!!

Really nice work you captured great atmospheric colors in the first and your strong drawing skills shine in the second. Have a great weekend!

Back