Buried Ruins

Artyczar

Just finished this yesterday. It's oil on a 1.5" gesso board, 24 x 24 inches.

buriedruinstest72.jpg

I have one more to do for my show coming up in September, so I'm way ahead of schedule now. I even finished all the drawings for my big drawing wall. I can get back to being here more often and even answer some email! ;) ...maybe even do some laundry! :ROFLMAO:

This is such an interesting piece. I've been looking at it for the last 10 minutes - it invokes a feeling of sadness in me. Beautifully painted and so thought provoking

Thanks CaliAnn. I appreciate your insight. I intended a little bit of sadness here. I purposely colored a foreboding sky and the idea of a buried school bus I suppose can have some sad connotations. But I *think* I'm satisfied with how it turned out. Not my normal happy colors, but there's still some sense of humor/play.

I dig it! I agree with the above that this one provokes thought and wondering. The layercake is an interesting touch, considering that the party seems to be over. Strata.

This is seen a lot with worn out old buses. Your painting expression is removed from reality but brings instant recall to the reality of the scene.

Gorgeous, Arty. Yes, the heavy sky really strikes a tone above that bus. At first glance there's a tragic note. But I also love seeing that touch of pink in your layer cake, definitely adding a lighter note of funk. ❤️

Another surreal beauty that just grabs my attention and has me wandering all over your canvas. You're amazing!

Thank you Lamar. Yes, I suppose the party is over for the bus. Ha ha. Who knows how it got to be out into the middle of nowhere. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated!

Thanks Wayne. I like your insight. It's always mysterious and helpful at the same time.

Terri, you are too kind and have brightened my day ten-fold. The painting is a kind of comment on the land more than it is about the bus, but again, I want the viewer to take away whatever they want. It is theirs to interpret. :)

Joe, thank you for your sweet comment!

There is definitely at least one story going on in this painting. It's a powerful piece, Ayin! Wasn't there a song about a cake being left out in the rain? This cake might not be wet but it sure has the feeling of being out of place (to me.)

I once saw a TV show, Walker, Texas Ranger, where someone buried a bus full of children in order to get a ransom. Scary movie. This reminded me of that. Great and thought provoking painting. 🤔❤️

Donna, yes, I remember that song. Very odd lyrics when I think of it. :LOL: Thanks for your feedback and comments. I appreciate it.

Sno, Thank you! ...that is a scary thought--that TV show episode. I feel a bit bad that this made you think of that, but what can't ya do? Sometimes we can't control what people are going to think about when we make these things.

The theme of my show is about the land around here, and strange things are in abundance. There are many things half buried here. I once saw a spa almost fully buried. Not a hot tub, a stand-alone place with a neon sign that said "spa." Weird stuff.

Interesting about the heavy sky. I wasn't sure if that was sky or water - I like the ambiguity. The school bus is beautifully done. This is almost surreal, and playful too with an underlying sense of loss and foreboding. What a lot to say in one painting! The cake is a great touch, making one think, so what happened to the party?

Thank you trufflecat. I loved your feedback. It means a lot. Yes, I suppose the sky has a "water" color to it. Glad I didn't add green! I almost did because the photo reference I was using for it did. It was a gray/blue sky and actually had elements of green, but I decided to leave it out. Didn't belong.

I came back to look at this one, and my first impression of stratification is even stronger. Now, it starts with the layers of atmosphere and progresses (regresses?) down though the earth, and then there's the multi-layered cake, though uncut, surely full of more strata. I think you may need to sit with this one, Ayin, when you have a chance.

What a lot to say in one painting!
tc is absolutely right! I agree that this painting has a *lot* to say.

I think it is thought-provoking and well painted. The bus is great! I couldn't figure out why the cake was there. And I'm guessing that is down to the viewer to decide on - their own interpretation - is that correct or have I missed something?

Thank you for your in-depth comments, Lamar. I will have to look up what you mean by "strata" because I'm pretty dense. Ha. I see what you mean in agreeing with Truffle's comment too. It's not lost on me.

Thank you Joce. I can see it's sadness, but I don't mind that some people see it that way. I think it's funny and some people see it that way too. It's very much something that's seen a LOT here in the desert. There are at least three abandoned school busses within a six mile area from here alone.

Katie, Thank you. There is no significance to the cake. That's the significance.

Dave, thank you very much. I appreciate you feedback! :)

Dreamy in an adult way that’s childlike.. dreamy is the right word.. for how I feel when I view it. Beautifully painted.. love the different lines/textures for different elements.. stark but still meshes together.. I can tell the sky is far away.. and the grass is medium to the close up mud.. I like the true, garish colors.. oops I’ll typing to much .. 👍.. 100% Brilliant

Back