Another WIP - my daughter balancing in backlight

wirfi

This is a long running idea I wanted to do. It's from a photograph I made years ago, with my daughter balancing. I wanted to add a backlighting (you can see a bit of the reference in the upper corner). This is the third layer on the background, and I think I found how I want it to be.

Now I just need to paint her, with some backlight effects, I'm thinking some light yellow-orange glowing edges and a more muted, darker yellow green in the middle of the dress.

I'm deliberately using a color gamut for the first time, and studying chapters from James Gurneys book Color and light. I'm hoping I can use the knowledge I gain in the painting.

This is just a cellphone camera shot, so it might not be very accurate ;)

(By the way, shes turning 15 years old tomorrow. Time goes fast... )

IMG_20220409_002002.jpg

This looks wonderful already! I like how you changed the lighting from the reference and notice how the mood changed as well. James Gurney is so generous with the information he shares on his blog. I've read about his gamut method but have never tried it. I'm curious how you'll like it and the resulting color harmony. Enjoy the birthday festivities!

I love it already! The light and composition are beautiful. Looking forward to updates.

This looks wonderful already! I like how you changed the lighting from the reference and notice how the mood changed as well. James Gurney is so generous with the information he shares on his blog. I've read about his gamut method but have never tried it. I'm curious how you'll like it and the resulting color harmony. Enjoy the birthday festivities!
Yes, hes blog is good but I also got this book "Color and light" from my wife for christmas - very good. And I found another guy who has made an online tool for the gamut mask, here: https://mypaintingclub.com/blog/post/39-The-Gamut-Mask-Tool

great start .. interesting .. had to look it up .. makes for easier color consistency I would think.

great start .. interesting .. had to look it up .. makes for easier color consistency I would think.
Thanks. Yes and basically it gives you the tool to turn the colorscheme of a scene to the mood/light you want. Well, if I can learn it anyway. We'll se how it goes ;)

This is going to be so charming! I can appreciate how completely you're changing the direction of the light from the ref photo - no small feat. Her posture is so delicate and sweet.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished painting!

Excellent beginning. I'm certain this will turn out like a gem because you are such a capable artist. :)

Oh this will be delightful. I already like it better than the photo, better perspective and mood. ❤️

Beautiful painting! Thanks so much for posting all the wip photos and sharing your process.

Those final details on the extended foot set the whole thing off to perfection. Love it! ❤️

Thanks, I've been waiting to see how this one turned out. I was not disappointed. It is lovely. ❤️ Will you give it to her when she is older?

This is really nice - it works on so many levels. I like how her image stand out - seeming to emit it's own light. The added detail enhances the sense of place. A warm, delightful portrait in motion.

Thanks, I've been waiting to see how this one turned out. I was not disappointed. It is lovely. ❤️ Will you give it to her when she is older?
Thank you. Actually she's 15 now, but we'll see... ;)

This is really nice - it works on so many levels. I like how her image stand out - seeming to emit it's own light. The added detail enhances the sense of place. A warm, delightful portrait in motion.
Thank you for your nice words :)

If anyone wonders about the difference in colour ... well, I repainted some areas off course, but it's also because the first photos were quick snapshots (at least the first one was with my cellphone).
The last photo was done with my DSLR, C-stand, polarization-filters, white balancing equipment and photolights. It makes a big difference in picture quality, but I usually don't want to put the work in if the painting is not finished.

Back