Annie. - Part Two

Schuee

The commisioner of the painting didnt want me to add colour to her coat and so I have tried again. She had lots of little niggles about it but this is the best I can do and I think she’s satisfied. All the faff is one of the reasons I don’t usually accept commissions, only drawing for friends. I hope you can see a likeness - I think if people want photo-reality they should opt for photographs! 😁

91FA6C2C-3BB2-46EC-9BB4-27D54758551D.jpeg

35D1036C-3B8E-4A27-92A7-94AABF6CC654.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate commissions in general. I feel for you. This work is just as amazing, though I prefer the first one because it's true that white is not white. Hopefully, this will shut them up and make them happy. :ROFLMAO: It's beautiful work. ♥️

Maybe they can invest in a camera, like you said. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you very much, Artyczar. Yes, they should get a camera, as you say! I liked the first one, too.

I like that you included a few non-white colors into this new portrait. Annie is not pure white and you did a wonderful job with her likeness. I'm sorry you were asked to do another portrait when the first one was so beautiful but this one is too.

Thank you very much, Donna. I’m pleased you like her. perhaps when they see her in the flesh they will like her more than the photo as the iPad does change colours slightly. I’ve had enough of it for now - it’s the best I could do.

I like this version a little better than the first but not because of the color. This feels a little more 3-D to me than the first one although both are beautifully done.

I agree that people don't understand how much reflected color there is in white. It takes a while for one to see those subtle colors.

I hope this one was well received.

Thank you very much, Anne. I will be handing it over next week and will let you all know how it is received. It has been commissioned by a friend to give to her friend as a Christmas gift.

You've done a really good job Penny! It's a shame you had to do it again though.

Thanks, Kay, i was really ded up with it by the end, which is a shame as I usually enjoy drawing.

IMO, the second is more of a likeness, even though they are both excellent. Since a single photo has such llmitations, maybe the owner felt the color was a bit much. Since they likely do not understand why, perhaps it is because she has more cool than warm tones in her fur. The reason I like the likeness better in the second is not just the color. The spacing of the eyes was a wee far apart in the first, and the nose is darker, moister and more natural in the second. You should be immensely proud of both, but content that you delivered such an improvement and a better likeness. And your friend must think exceptionally highly of your talent to commission this for another!

IMO, the second is more of a likeness, even though they are both excellent. Since a single photo has such llmitations, maybe the owner felt the color was a bit much. Since they likely do not understand why, perhaps it is because she has more cool than warm tones in her fur. The reason I like the likeness better in the second is not just the color. The spacing of the eyes was a wee far apart in the first, and the nose is darker, moister and more natural in the second. You should be immensely proud of both, but content that you delivered such an improvement and a better likeness. And your friend must think exceptionally highly of your talent to commission this for another!
Thank you very much, Joy, for your comments. I agree that this one is more like her. I will hand it over when I see her next week when I visit her daughter who is a physiotherapist and who is helping me with my back.

Penny, what a great job you've done! I think the likeness is so good! Commissioned pet portraits are daunting. You just never know how someone will react. You hope for great reactions...when you get niggling complaints or unsatisfied clients instead, it can sure take all the fun out of it in one fell swoop. Well done in your fortitude to carry on! They should be thrilled with this. I think you've made her cuter than her photo (she looks a bit grumpy - you've gentled her expression so she looks sweeter). Excellent work!

I agree with the other comments here about the coloring. I like both versions. I hope and expect you'll get an enthusiastic response to your excellent work!

Doing portraits from a single photo ref is hard enough, and I'm sorry you had to do another one. Technically speaking, that is a poor photo because the eyes appear blank and too deep with very little catch lights, only minor reflections. Both your renditions have lovely catch lights that light up the animal's face. Not easy!

Glad it will be over for you after next week! ;)

Thank you very much, Jenna. I appreciate your comments a lot. Yes, people’s reactions can cause loss of confidence. Apparently, there is another commission for me and I hope that will be better received. I feel I’ve done the best I can.

Thank you very much, Terri, for your comments. The help I get here encourages me to keep going. I am handing it over on Wednesday afternoon and will be pleased to have it gone!

Thank you very much, Jenna. I appreciate your comments a lot. Yes, people’s reactions can cause loss of confidence. Apparently, there is another commission for me and I hope that will be better received. I feel I’ve done the best I can.
You're going to do great! For those difficult commissions and all the stress involved, it's the wonderful, heart-warming good reactions that make it all worthwhile. I very much hope your next commission is more enjoyable.

Back