Ah, Italia! (x-post)

Bartc

Having just returned from a long awaited trip back to Italy, I find myself in posession of 9 lovely small line and wash panitings. Still have the touch, and I painted almost daily, something that I am not sure I ever did as prolifically before.

Varios sizes, ink and watercolor on watercolor paper. Sites in Milan, Cinqueterre, Florence, Perugia and Bologna.
Bologna Cathedral.jpg
Manarola.jpg
Milan Basilica balcony view.jpg
Milan Duomo.jpg
Monterosso boats and tower.jpg
Monterosso Fegina and Ma Passu.jpg
Monterosso St Frnacis.jpg
Perugia.jpg
Ponte Vecchio.jpg

These are so nice, Bart! What wonderful memories they will bring back every time you see them.

Hi Bart, captured the feeling of these places so nicely. Fantastic you could get time each day.

Your paintings really got the feeling at some of those spots, I could recognise a few of the vantage points from my wanderings in Italy

Amazing work! Gorgeous places and spectacular views. How long were you painting/staying in each place? It's good to be able to paint early hour b/c later streets are full, almost too full of tourists. What an opportunity to paint in Italy!

How did I miss commenting on this? Maybe I did when you cross-posted it? Anyway, I surely LOVE these. ♥️

Amazing work! Gorgeous places and spectacular views. How long were you painting/staying in each place? It's good to be able to paint early hour b/c later streets are full, almost too full of tourists. What an opportunity to paint in Italy!
Each one was maybe half an hour or so. Doesn't take me long to do these line and wash paintings. They're not big. All it takes is a place to sit with a good view! Yes, painting in Italy was a treat.

Moscatel, not sure I answered your real question. I thought you were asking how long each painting took.

Our usual plan is to spend 2 - 4 nights in one base town, truly get to know it in all lights and times of day, and do side day trips. In summer that makes for very long days with varied itineraries, and since I awaken very early in the morning my days are even longer!

I like the quiet of the early mornings for painting and have less interference visually or socially from other people, plus that is a great time for light and shadow play. Wandering before the crowds get up also allows me better temperature and time to do a bit of random walking. Aids in getting the layout of a town and finding the best spots for painting.

All 6 water based media fit in a fanny pack. All I need is a place to sit and a couple of feet of space to lay out materials. Usually take some time walking around for best view, then 5-10 minutes for pencil/ink layout and another 10-20 for the wash. I don't work from reference pix, rather I take a pic afterwards for reference to my original inspiration. Paper sizes vary from 3.5x5" to 4x10" to 6x9" when traveling, though I often take a 9x12" pad along just in case.

People do very often stop to watch, comment, and some even ask politely if they can take a picture of me painting. I say yes to that.
bart manarola 2.jpg

Bartc, I like your photo in Cinqueterre. Is it Manarola? Did you have an Italian sea food lunch in one of those seaside restaurants? I was in Cinqueterre 2012 but I stayed in Monterosso if I remember correct. Good memories from that visit. I didn't paint pleinair there, I was taking painting classes in Florence at that time.
Yes, your correct, I was thinking to ask how many days you spent in each city. 2-4 days is very little time, I think. But I understand time limits when traveling. I usually need at least two weeks but then again I'm so slow. Early hours to paint/draw plein air are the best at least in hot summer. Pleinair can be exhausting too. I post this message now b/c looks like I have trouble with Internet so something. Thanks again for the travel story, great photos and art from the travel!
Btw, did you go to Venice on this trip?

Last edited:
Bartc, I like your photo in Cinqueterre. Is it Manarola? Did you have an Italian sea food lunch in one of those seaside restaurants? I was in Cinqueterre 2012 but I stayed in Monterosso if I remember correct. Good memories from that visit. I didn't paint pleinair there, I was taking painting classes in Florence at that time.
Yes, your correct, I was thinking to ask how many days you spent in each city. 2-4 days is very little time, I think. But I understand time limits when traveling. I usually need at least two weeks but then again I'm so slow. Early hours to paint/draw plein air are the best at least in hot summer. Pleinair can be exhausting too. I post this message now b/c looks like I have trouble with Internet so something. Thanks again for the travel story, great photos and art from the travel!
Btw, did you go to Venice on this trip?
Yes, that is Manarola. I always stay in Monterosso and have been doing so for 44 years. We have friends there. Things have changed so much over the decades, but we still consider it "like home". This time I made it for the anchovy festival, which was a home town kick.
Venice many other trips but not this one.
BTW, all were very familiar to us this trip EXCEPT for Perugia, Bologna and Ravenna. Loved Perugia and Ravenna, but so-so on Bologna.
I don't regard 3+ days as short, but maybe I can explore faster than others.

Back