A pen and brush trial

ntl

Contributing Member
My DD has (had--I'm confiscating it!) a PILOT G-2 pen.
The following is a quick sketch on the back of a regular envelope using it (thanks to your post Rich. Thanks!) and my water brush.
I've never done an ink/water sketch, this was enjoyed! ~ 5x3" cross posted from art school forum
thumbnail_IMG_6820.jpg

Nice effect. You can have a lot of fun playing around with water soluble ink and water.

You got some nice lines and tones with that pen and brush and a very cute little sketch!

Lovely! You can get some lovely effects with water soluble ink. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

Love how this turned out! Very simple but appealing to the eye. Hope you do more! ❤️

Kay, thanks. I'm enjoying this so far. I get way to detailed even with pencil, I hope using a pen and wash will
help reduce that ---need--!
Scamall and Terri, thanks.
CaliAnn, Balaji, thank you. Backs of envelopes, assorted scrap papers, that's what I started drawing on and I guess I'm still at it!

Pilot G-2 ink isn't waterproof, same as the G-1 I use very much for writing. I tried in the past to use it for sketches and add watercolor (with aquarela color pencils or regular aquarela colors like Winsor & Newton) and found that the ink wash ruined the colors. However I didn't think about using just the wash with no additional colors. It's a clever way to use these pens on a good paper for miniatures and small size sketches!

For waterproof ink sketches we can use the Sakura Pigma Micron markers or Faber-Castell waterproof fine tip pens. They stay unchanged after application of watercolor washes.

I found an older artbook from 1980, about landscape sketching as a hobby by R. Baessler,a while back.
Your doodles reminded me of the art style in the book.

Back